Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Improv diaper dancing


rattle homestyle
Originally uploaded by epmdesigner.
I knew it was true for cats...but nobody ever really told me that babies would rather play with a piece of fuzz on the floor, than with their lovely and colorful lamaze toys. In an effort to capitalize on this idiosyncracy, I decided to heed the advice of the Gymboree "baby games" book that Devon gave me and make a crude and simple rattle for Leah. I have never loved christmas tree pasta (see, I made it colorful!) and tupperware more!

As you can see from the pictue Leah thoroughly enjoyed herself. The pasta rattle even worked wonders when I changed her diaper, a task that has become more and more difficult lately. Toys keep her writhing and wiggling down to a minimum but only for so long. Eventually, she tires of them (even the ones that I've reserved strictly for diaper changing!) and she throws them overboard. Repeatedly. Then they end up behind the changing table where I can't reach them without moving it.

So to anyone who ever thought college modern dance training was useless, let me counter with the fact that it has saved my sanity when it comes to Leah's latest diaper changing antics. I decided to leave my stress behind and go with the flow when changing diapers. Improv dance style, I take my cues from Leah's movements and let my movements follow in suit. Yesterday, I managed to complete a diaper change where she started on her back, spent a few additional moments on her tummy (that actually helped for clean-up!), and completed it with her standing up and leaning against me. It's easier than you'd think. Probably because she was fighting me a whole lot less. Oh, to be blessed with an active baby!

No comments: