Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Awesome Aunts!


My Aunt Rules!
Originally uploaded by epmdesigner.
I have always loved the fact that I have a plethora of Aunts. There's my wonderful Aunt Marie who sent me packages of girly things like make up samples in college. Of course there's Aunt Erin, my namesake and godmother, who is always there if you need a hug or someone to laugh with. My Aunt Marsha, a creative wiz who can make furniture and knit blankets at the same time I think! That's one of her creations that you always see Leah crawling around on. I have learned a great deal from my Aunt Mary about being a good Mom. I also remember gazing in awe at my Aunt Carole and what a beautiful bride she was when I was the flowergirl in her wedding. My Aunt Veronica, who is a doula, gave me lots of helpful advice before Leah's birth and a few baby tips that I could not live without today. My Aunt Kathy is hilarious and always manages to make me smile.

And these are just my Aunts! I also have a bubbling group of Great Aunts who I still see and talk to. Each one is different but they are all stylish, wise and funny women who I feel blessed to have known. I even had at least one Great-great aunt who was a big part of my life as a child, Aunt Kitty. The Aunt Kitty quotes and stories are endless and whenever my immediate family is together her name is always mentioned at least once or twice.

I am so happy that my daughter has her own group of aunts, great aunts, and great-great aunts! Having love and support from a wide range of unique and strong women is such a blessing. I love this picture of my sister Devon holding Leah and wearing her "Awesome Aunt" sticker that came in the birthday card we gave to her. Leah's sticker says "my aunt rules." Devon picked that one out especially or her. Devon has endless patience with and sensitivity towards Leah. Leah's determination, smiles and giggles, and athleticism remind me of my sister Kathleen. Pete's sister Anne is always there with a cuddle or a funny song for Leah. In addition to our actual sisters Leah has a group of honorary aunts too! Nicolle, Marisa and Carole are all women who have forged special and natural relationships with LeLe. Then there are my cousins who Leah just loves. I could go on forever...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed being the aunt of some of the most wonderful nieces. They gave me a taste of what it would have been like to have had a daughter (without all the expense, ha, ha)!