Thursday, February 02, 2006

Fun with friends (and our digital camera)


Fun with friends
Originally uploaded by epmdesigner.
I've been wanting to get a better understanding of my Canon S400 digital camera. I've heard a lot about shooting in RAW mode, but my camera does not allow that. Regardless, I have a BFA and I took High School photography so I know my way around a camera and darkroom. I figured the least I could do was to try to understand my camera's basic manual features.

I explored by using various color settings (vivid, nuetral, low-sharpening etc.), changing the shutter speed and ISO, and trying various lighting modes. Eventually I got this shot I really liked with LeLe and our lovely neighbor Quinn. Quinn and her sisters, AKA the girls from across the street, are often the highlight of Leah's week. Play time with them is so exciting for her. it's like having three big sisters instantly! You know this shot was candid becuase Leah rarely stops moving for even a second these days. But even quick moving Leah is no match for a very short shutter speed!

Using a camera manually always seems like so much more work than just keeping it on automatic! But every time I try manual (channeling the amazing photographic talents of my Grandpa Meaney, who taught me a lot about the ART of photgraphy), I am reminded of how much more control one is given over the aesthetics of what they're shooting. I'm looking forward to exploring my camera more!!!

No comments: