Well, if I thought the relaxing effects of my weekend away would last I was wrong. I'm still clinging tightly to the last remnants, but life (especially as the holdays approach) can get very hectic. Pair that with a baby who I believe is on the cusp of taking her first steps sometime soon and it gets even crazier. Life sure is going to be interesting in 2006!
When I do need a quiet moment, I enjoy looking at a picture of Awosting Falls. It is dear to me becuase it is where Pete and I got engaged, although the waterfall was mostly frozen and the trees were coated with a sparkling blanket of snow and ice that day. But it is also just a peaceful spot, that appears out of nowhere as you hike. It's lovely in every season and it reminds me of home. Every time I'm there I think about the true, timeless beauty of nature and how this waterfall keeps flowing each day while we're at work, eating dinner, and enjoying our families and friends. I know that's a very simple (maybe even mundane) concept, but it helps to ground me. What a comfort to know that this beauty is always there (for now at least, since it's on State Park lands).
I look forward to someday sharing this spot with Leah. Judging by the way she enjoys her stacking bath cups, I know she'll enjoy seeing a 60 ft. waterfall. She likes to have you pour water out in front of her as she runs her hands through it. Pete, who handles bath time, tells me that now she likes to try and catch the water in her mouth as well. Speaking of Pete...the stream that supplies the water for the Falls is called Peterskill. Then of course, we went on our honeymoon to Peter Island. What is it with that guy and his name?! Just kidding.
Enjoy the day everyone. It's supposed to snow here. Are you surprised?
Thursday, November 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great picture. This has always been one of our family's favorite spots, as well. I think it is just as impressive in winter with the multi-colored waterfall frozen in time.
Post a Comment