Tuesday, July 03, 2007

But are the Twos so Terrible?


Bubble Joy
Originally uploaded by epmdesigner
Yes, they are terrible but as this picture shows, they are also terrific! The girls' Pediatrician calls them that, the "Terrific Twos." I won't tell you what he called the Fours....let's just say I'm not looking forward to that!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this shot of my little two year old tyrant in all her glory. The pure joy Leah is expressing in this shot makes my heart want to burst. She was "doing ballet" and as a dancer and ballerina (in my younger years) it brings me so much joy to see her leap and twirl with confidence and abandon.

Even though she is "having a hard time" (her words!!) lately, I see glimpses of the pre-schooler Leah is becoming. She's got a sense of humor (is it possible for a two and a half year old to have a dry wit?). She's very independent. And for all of her defiance, she's even a bit of a people pleaser at times! The girl wants to be good, I can really see it...but at two it's just too tough sometimes. Besides, even if I am tired and aggravated with some of her behavior...I am also comforted by the fact that she's testing limits and trying new things. It's all part of learning who she is right?

Aislin took a nap this morning and it afforded Leah and I some time alone together. Wow, what a difference it made in Leah's demeanor! She was so excited to play with Mommy and get some personal attention. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. When Aisy woke up the typical two year-old war of wills started up again, but at least it made me realize that much of her behavior is a result of some sibling jealousy...along with the par the course toddler boundary testing mentioned above. No longer is Aislin just a cute, crying, lump Leah has to manuever around. Now she's a totally adorable smiling, giggling, climbing, crawling and standing machine to be reckined with.

I have a feeling once Aislin gets a little older these two will be happy to dance through the bubbles together. And honestly...I can't wait for that! Until then...I'll just enjoy each of them wfor who they are in this very moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah looks like she is having the time of her life.....enjoy that bubble machine, hang in there ..... Love to All Auntie

Anonymous said...

Next time you guys visit, I'll have to dig out the shot of you dancing after bubbles on Grandpa Meaney's front walk when you were just about two years old Erin! I've always loved that picture, as I do this one, because both capture the pure joys of being a child and following your heart's desire. It's the same sentiment that I still feel when I see the children chasing bubbles at EEC...no matter how old we get we should always make some time to follow our dreams and strive to reach for what makes us happy!!! With love to all you bubble chasers out there...and if you haven't been one in the past give it a try - it's good for the soul!

Anonymous said...

What would be nice....get a double photo frame and put both pictures side by side.